My Personal Heritage...



"My"
Friday 23rd September saw a myriad of color and pride in the form of traditional dress, this is celebration of our heritage. This got me thinking of what lies beyond the traditional dress that I could call my own personal heritage.

My South Africa gave me my own personal heritage.
My South Africa gave me the family I have, without them, I wouldn’t have been born Tswana and had Tswana traits attributed to me
My South Africa made my dreadlocked hair special, in Jamaica I would be just another girl with dreadlocks

My South Africa gave me a funny, loving, giving Cape Malay girl as a best friend, anywhere else, I would have had an anywhere else best friend
My South Africa gave me the experience of waiting for a taxi in the rain or dusty wind so that I can feel for the girl going through the same routine while I past  in my own car



"Personal"

My South Africa gave me the village, the township, the suburb all before the age of 16, anywhere else, I would have been one dimensional and not known how to be comfortable in any environment


My South Africa gave me Africanness, anywhere else I wouldn’t have known that I am because we are.

My South Africa taught me diversity of African cultures so one day I can stand up for others outside our borders when others made them the enemy


My South Africa gave me the humble yet satisfying pap and spinach meal so I always remember the rewards of humility

"Heritage"

My South Africa welcomed a non South African man into the country, anywhere else, I wouldn’t have found him



My South Africa gave me the south of Africa, not the middle, not the side but the southern tip so I can always know my north, west and east because without them, there is no south of Africa, just another spot.
Pula!





Images courtesy of Shutttershock.com








Comments

Popular Posts