Gauteng maboneng !

The first time I heard about Johannesburg, the voice that was speaking was swathed in deliberate mystery. It was an aunt, talking to her sisters about someone who had gone to the City of Gold or Gauteng and her family was having trouble finding her. Another tone that came with this city's mention was its undeniable appeal. As a child, the picture my mind drew was lights like you've never seen before! Music and energy like you've never felt before! Very "Showtime!!" it all sounded.

When I eventually left high school and was allowed to take trips on my own, I recall travelling to Pretoria and helluva anticipating to see JHB. As it happens, you need to drive through JHB before you get to Pretoria. Now being on a bus, you can only see of it as much as the bus route allows you and at the time that the bus will be going through JHB. If it’s during the day, behold a city with buildings as high as nothing your village eyes have ever seen and ascending roadways to take you on a tantalizing but short trip to JHB heaven. If you are travelling at night, behold a city with bright lights that form a dazzling structured chaos. On that first trip, I travelled at night and my eyes were transfixed, trying not to look too obvious that I was a newbie to what I was seeing. If you are a 1st time visitor to this city, I reckon the best time to travel would be at night, this way, the city still keeps its secrets and you get to play 'discover me' with it - when you're ready. It’s also the best time because then you understand why some old folk, and young, say "Gauteng maboneng" or loosely translated, "City of Gold, where the lights are".

Understand dear reader that when that phrase was first used, many lived in the townships and villages so for them, it was a marvel to see.

My mother worked in this city when she was younger. A nurse at a then highly reputable Baragwanath hospital. At the time, JHB's appeal was at its peak, in the same breath, its appeal was terrifying. Not only was it the city to make a good living in, it was also a city where it was easy to lose sight of why you were there in the first place. Mam'Letta Mbulu captured this dichotomy when she lamented - "Gauteng, khutsanyana tsa ka di felletse teng", meaning "JHB has swallowed up my little ones [orphans]".  Today, many parents of my parent's age have grown kids who live in JHB. Understandably, they are proud to answer "Oh, Refilwe, she lives in Gauteng!". It's interesting that most times, they mention it as 'Gauteng' and not Johannesburg.

It's an affirmation that 'my child is doing well' or is 'well on her way in the grind for success'. I guess in many ways JHB has kept its label as a place where success and big money is inevitable - if you work at it.

So I guess JHB accommodates all kinds of people, and keeps its generational positioning - that of a city of mystery, heartache, joy, fun and more, it just depends on you what you navigate towards...

Comments

Popular Posts